- 3 Pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 Small onion-diced
- 2 Large cloves garlic-minced
- 3 Small serrano or jalapeno chiles minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place whole tomatoes in skillet, and allow skins to blacken on all sides, turning when necessary.
- Let cool, and peel tomatoes reserving all juice
- Coarsely blend tomatoes and juice in blender or food processor.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium flame. Add onions and cook, stirring until light. brown. Add garlic and chiles, cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Turn heat to high, add tomato puree, and cook for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups chicken broth or water, bring to boil, remove from heat. Salt to taste.
Variations, tips, shortcuts:
- Tomatoes can be set under a broiler on a cookie sheet to blacken skins.
- Use two 28 oz. cans of whole tomatoes with juice and skip the roasting and peeling.