SCACCIA (LASAGNA BREAD)
Method of Preparation
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, yeast, and warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in semolina flour and salt until dough comes together. Scrape dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. Transfer dough to a clean bowl and liberally coat with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Line a half-sheet tray with parchment paper and rub with olive oil. Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a 1/16-inch thick, 24 x 12-inch rectangle. Trim off any uneven ends. Position the rectangle so that the longest side is closest to you.
- Spread half of the pizza sauce over the middle three-fifths of the rectangle. Combine Chihuahua® and Oaxaca cheese in a bowl. Cover sauce with half of the cheese. Fold the left, plain side, of the dough over to cover about half of the sauce and cheese.
- Spread remaining sauce over the portion of the dough that was folded over. Cover sauce with the remaining cheese. Fold the right-hand, plain third over the sauce and cheese. Use a fork to crimp the top and bottom edges. Transfer dough to prepared sheet tray. Pierce the top with the tines of a fork a few times.
- Bake until top is golden brown and slightly darkened and the cheese is melted, about 35 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
- Once cooked, remove scaccia from tray and place on cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 12, 1-inch slices and serve warm with marinara for dipping.